Happy New Year
Posted on January 1, 2013
A happy new year to all! 2013 should be an interesting year for development. Here a few things I’ll be keeping an eye on.
- Laravel. Version 4 should hit within the next month or two, and who knows what will come after?
- CakePHP. Version 3 might come out this year, and with them going towards using actual objects rather than nested arrays will make life a whole lot easier.
- Drupal. I know, it’s ridiculous that I’m even putting it on here, but with version 8 maybe on the horizon, will Drupal finally stop being a horrible piece of bloatware?
- PHP 5.5. Better syntax, password hashing, dereferencing – lots of good stuff in 5.5. Hopefully web hosts start to allow use of it…
- Static sites. It seems like the pendulum is swinging the other way with static sites, what with Jekyll and its clones gaining traction. I wonder where this will go…
I’m also interested in seeing what advances are made with WordPress, Twitter Bootstrap, and all sorts of other stuff. So here’s to a great year!